Today I decided to share the process for making a decorative felt cactus for a friend. I also took this opportunity and (finally!?) made myself a pincushion.
As with all my projects, this too began with an illustration which also gave me the opportunity to dabble with my new watercolor set (Yay!!!).
Then, I set out to find the right container. I found this really nice one with fake plastic flowers in it. I cut the flowers (Morticia Addams style…) and just left the stem to provide some support.
Then I cut the pieces (two of each) of felt and arranged them in the desired shape like so:
Next I added simple v-shaped embroidered spines:
Now it was time to assemble –
I started with sewing the smallest pieces and filling them –
Then, I attached them to the larger pieces before filling them –
Now I filled the base of the cactus and glued it to the base of the pot with the stem inside.
It turned out pretty well, in my opinion –
Here you can see it along with my new pincushion 🙂
So, it feels like a million years had passed since I posted my last post (it has been two years!?), but better late than never I guess.
Halloween is upon us and I thought I’d share a costume I made for myself for Purim last year that turned out really well.
The idea came to me because of this dress embelishment I had used for one of my designs for the fashion design course I had taken.
I thought it was very 1920’s style and decided to make myself a flapper inspired costume with a hair accessory using this embelishment. The next step was a sketch.
Now I had to figure ot the design of the dress. My one rule was for it to be a dress I could actually wear more than once. For this purpose, adjustments had to be made. 1920’s style doesn’t actually go with my full figured body type, so it had to be 1920’s inspired with more of a 1950’s silhouette – think “Some like It Hot”.
Here is a sketch of the design for the dress:
I went with a black form fitting mesh dress on top of a pink silk satin slip. i like the texture the transparency of the mesh fabric creates with the shine of the satin underneath. I also added a lacey top beacause the slip was too revealing for me.