0

New Year Project and Fashion Illustration Tutorial 

Hey everyone! Happy 2017! 😃

I have decided to start 2017 with an exciting new project I’ll probably never finish…😂

As someone who enjoys sewing and who studied fashion design, it is no surprise that I have a growing stash of Burda style magazines. Most of which have not been used for more than flipping through the pages and fantasizing about all the things I’ll sew when I have the time. Well no more! 

 I decided that this year, I will sew an item every month so that at the end of the year, I will have 12 new items I made myself and the collection of magazines wouldn’t seem like such a waste…

The system is simple. I’ll start with the simplest item and work my way to the more complex items, or to put it in clothing item terms- I’ll sew my way from skirt to overcoat. 

I chose to start with an asymmetrical knit skirt pattern 115 from the first burda style magazine I ever bought in July 2011- how fitting 😁

As always, I began by sketching the skirt. To do that I traced the image of the model in the magazine with transparent paper like so –

Although it is usually recommended to use images of models wearing tighter fitting clothes when tracing, I  like using the image of the model actually wearing the item  (if I have it) because while you do need to make some adjustments to the figure you can easily sketch the skirt accurately as it is supposed to look in real life. 

Now, I wanted to use watercolor for the illustration, so in order to transfer it to watercolor paper, I cut the traced image and traced the outline onto the watercolor paper –

Then I added some detail- I wanted to combine the skirt with clothing items I have to make a total look –

Then I added color with watercolor and copic markers-

Now it was time to sew!

Now, I had a few fitting issues, but since it was a knit skirt adjustments were pretty easy to make. 

The final result-

See you next month for the February project!😄

Advertisements
0

Halloween Is Coming

So, it feels like a million years had passed since I posted my last post (it has been two years!?), but better late than never I guess.

Halloween is upon us and I thought I’d share a costume I made for myself for Purim last year that turned out really well.

The idea came to me because of this dress embelishment I had used for one of my designs for the fashion design course I had taken.

img_20151121_155306

I thought it was very 1920’s style and decided to make myself a flapper inspired costume with a hair accessory using this embelishment. The next step was a sketch.

img_20161021_205702

Now I had to figure ot the design of the dress. My one rule was for it to be a dress I could actually wear more than once. For this purpose, adjustments had to be made. 1920’s style doesn’t actually go with my full figured body type, so it had to be 1920’s inspired with more of a 1950’s silhouette – think “Some like It Hot”.

Here is a sketch of the design for the dress:

img_20161022_233621

I went with a black form fitting mesh dress on top of a pink silk satin slip. i like the texture the transparency of the mesh fabric creates with the shine of the satin underneath. I also added a lacey top beacause the slip was too revealing for me.

And voila!

%d7%9c%d7%9c%d7%90-%d7%a9%d7%9d