0

February Project – Tulle Skirt

For the second project of the year, I decided to tackle the tulle skirt  (que dramatic music๐Ÿ˜‚).

I chose pattern 118 from burda style magazine issue 4/2013.

Most tutorials for a tulle skirt I’ve seen were for a gathered skirt, but I wanted it to be less bulky at the waist, so this pattern was a perfect fit for me ๐Ÿ˜Š. 

As usual, I started by sketching the skirt. Watercolor seemed fitting. 

Then I made another illustration because why make one illustration when you can make two, am I right?๐Ÿ˜

I used the instructions for the pattern to make two layers of tulle and a layer of knit fabric for the lining. I used an elastic waistband in black. The original pattern calls for a zipper, I decided to make my life and bit easier…

I love how it turned out! Very 80s chic and also perfect for a Valentine’s day date if you have one โค cause I don’t…๐Ÿ˜‚.

I liked it so much, I made another for a friend in a red fabric with tiny white hearts which is also perfect for Valentine’s day๐Ÿ˜. 

All in all very useful pattern ๐Ÿค—. 

0

New Year Project and Fashion Illustration Tutorialย 

Hey everyone! Happy 2017! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I have decided to start 2017 with an exciting new project I’ll probably never finish…๐Ÿ˜‚

As someone who enjoys sewing and who studied fashion design, it is no surprise that I have a growing stash of Burda style magazines. Most of which have not been used for more than flipping through the pages and fantasizing about all the things I’ll sew when I have the time. Well no more! 

 I decided that this year, I will sew an item every month so that at the end of the year, I will have 12 new items I made myself and the collection of magazines wouldn’t seem like such a waste…

The system is simple. I’ll start with the simplest item and work my way to the more complex items, or to put it in clothing item terms- I’ll sew my way from skirt to overcoat. 

I chose to start with an asymmetrical knit skirt pattern 115 from the first burda style magazine I ever bought in July 2011- how fitting ๐Ÿ˜

As always, I began by sketching the skirt. To do that I traced the image of the model in the magazine with transparent paper like so –

Although it is usually recommended to use images of models wearing tighter fitting clothes when tracing, I  like using the image of the model actually wearing the item  (if I have it) because while you do need to make some adjustments to the figure you can easily sketch the skirt accurately as it is supposed to look in real life. 

Now, I wanted to use watercolor for the illustration, so in order to transfer it to watercolor paper, I cut the traced image and traced the outline onto the watercolor paper –

Then I added some detail- I wanted to combine the skirt with clothing items I have to make a total look –

Then I added color with watercolor and copic markers-

Now it was time to sew!

Now, I had a few fitting issues, but since it was a knit skirt adjustments were pretty easy to make. 

The final result-

See you next month for the February project!๐Ÿ˜„