0

New Year Project and Fashion Illustration Tutorial 

Hey everyone! Happy 2017! 😃

I have decided to start 2017 with an exciting new project I’ll probably never finish…😂

As someone who enjoys sewing and who studied fashion design, it is no surprise that I have a growing stash of Burda style magazines. Most of which have not been used for more than flipping through the pages and fantasizing about all the things I’ll sew when I have the time. Well no more! 

 I decided that this year, I will sew an item every month so that at the end of the year, I will have 12 new items I made myself and the collection of magazines wouldn’t seem like such a waste…

The system is simple. I’ll start with the simplest item and work my way to the more complex items, or to put it in clothing item terms- I’ll sew my way from skirt to overcoat. 

I chose to start with an asymmetrical knit skirt pattern 115 from the first burda style magazine I ever bought in July 2011- how fitting 😁

As always, I began by sketching the skirt. To do that I traced the image of the model in the magazine with transparent paper like so –

Although it is usually recommended to use images of models wearing tighter fitting clothes when tracing, I  like using the image of the model actually wearing the item  (if I have it) because while you do need to make some adjustments to the figure you can easily sketch the skirt accurately as it is supposed to look in real life. 

Now, I wanted to use watercolor for the illustration, so in order to transfer it to watercolor paper, I cut the traced image and traced the outline onto the watercolor paper –

Then I added some detail- I wanted to combine the skirt with clothing items I have to make a total look –

Then I added color with watercolor and copic markers-

Now it was time to sew!

Now, I had a few fitting issues, but since it was a knit skirt adjustments were pretty easy to make. 

The final result-

See you next month for the February project!😄

Advertisements
1

Felt Cactus Tutorial

Hello all!

Today I decided to share the process for making a decorative felt cactus for a friend. I also took this opportunity and (finally!?) made myself a pincushion.

As with all my projects, this too began with an illustration which also gave me the opportunity to dabble with my new watercolor set (Yay!!!).

cactus-illustartion

Then, I set out to find the right container. I found this really nice one with fake plastic flowers in it. I cut the flowers (Morticia Addams style…) and just left the stem to provide some support.

plastic-potted-plant

Then I cut the pieces (two of each) of felt and arranged them in the desired shape like so:

planning-the-shape

Next I added simple v-shaped embroidered spines:

felt-needlepoint

Now it was time to assemble –

I started with sewing the smallest pieces and filling them –

adding-the-filling

Then, I attached them to the larger pieces before filling them –

attaching-the-pieces-togetherattaching-more-pieces

Now I filled the base of the cactus and glued it to the base of the pot with the stem inside.

It turned out pretty well, in my opinion –

final-result

Here you can see it along with my new pincushion 🙂