Today I decided to share the process for making a decorative felt cactus for a friend. I also took this opportunity and (finally!?) made myself a pincushion.
As with all my projects, this too began with an illustration which also gave me the opportunity to dabble with my new watercolor set (Yay!!!).
Then, I set out to find the right container. I found this really nice one with fake plastic flowers in it. I cut the flowers (Morticia Addams style…) and just left the stem to provide some support.
Then I cut the pieces (two of each) of felt and arranged them in the desired shape like so:
Next I added simple v-shaped embroidered spines:
Now it was time to assemble –
I started with sewing the smallest pieces and filling them –
Then, I attached them to the larger pieces before filling them –
Now I filled the base of the cactus and glued it to the base of the pot with the stem inside.
It turned out pretty well, in my opinion –
Here you can see it along with my new pincushion 🙂